M17X Case Cleaning

Good day fellow M17x... owners. First post and new reader here. I have searched for the right spot to place this thread but I could not locate one so here goes... Over several months I have roamed the internet to find a good way to clean this rubberized coating off the case of my M17X r 3. I did not find a solid solution. I happened to have a few bottles of hand sanitizer around (thanks to covid) so, I thought I would give that a try. Much to my surprise, it worked!!! I am attaching some photos of the before and after, as well as the ingredients label on the hand sanitizer. I used a small plastic prying tool (for plastic parts like computer bezels) as a scraper, magic eraser, rags and ALOT of elbow grease. I would rub some hand sanitizer on small areas and let that sit for about 10 mins then start scrapping, sometimes I had to do that a couple of times. I used a rag to rub more off. After I had done this to each panel (palmrest and cover) I would then go back over everything with the magic eraser. I was even able to get around the Alienware Head of the front cover without removing it from the cover. This process took me all day to do. I did take several breaks My old hands cant take all that as I use too... Hopefully this will help someone else. I don't know why anyone would put that crap on a computer anyway... Not sure where Ill go from here, maybe paint the covers or have them wrapped. With that being said, share what you did to your laptops to clean and customized. I apologize, my cell phone does not take the best photos.

Attachments

• After 2.jpg
    After 2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Hand Sanitizer.jpg
    Hand Sanitizer.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1

my80chevette

Jan 9, 2022
Ohio
Nice post and will do someone some good down the line. I've watched a few videos of people doing what you did and it looked like hell to me ;). You may be one of only a handful of people to go through all that hassle. I looked around for some premade skins but couldn't find anything for this model.

Reactions: SgtMise

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Great job! I've had to do it many times when refurbing these old laptops. It's a long messy process. After removal, I spray down a primer, base colour and clear coat.
A main ingredient in most hand sanitizers is Isopropyl Alcohol. This is probably what's helping you in this case. I use a product here in Australia called Solvit as I find it works a lot quicker than Isopropyl. It says 'Natural' but it is an incredibly strong solvent cleaner. I'm sure there are similar products in the US and around the world. I also use a plastic pry tool to scrape the old soft-touch away.
Solvit500ml_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: SgtMise
Nice post and will do someone some good down the line. I've watched a few videos of people doing what you did and it looked like hell to me ;). You may be one of only a handful of people to go through all that hassle. I looked around for some premade skins but couldn't find anything for this model.
Thank you. It is a pain but well worth it when its all cleaned. I may do a paint job on the covers when I get the nerve... haha There are some skins out there but hard to find. I may also visit one of those shops that do "wraps" on vehicles, who knows maybe they can do the M17x covers as well.

Thanks everyone, When I first started this "cleaning adventure" I could not find allot of straight forward info as to how to do it or what to use. I just want to help others and get more ideas here for us all to see and try. I would love to get ahold of some of that "Solvit" that "MattyB" shared with us. Haven't found anyone in the USA handling it, as of yet anyway. I hope others post how they cleaned and what they used along with some photos. Thanks again and pass the word!